Why did I decide to do so?
At the beginning of the year I wrote this article about my plans and aims for 2015 where I said that I’d love to shop more sustainable, i.e. won’t shop items I’d never wear, high heels that are only expensive decoration in my wardrobe and so on.
When I started blogging and moved to Munich for studying four years ago I spent around 500€ each month for shopping. Online shopping had already been advanced in Germany and returns had already been for free. Moreover, I didn’t earn any money with blogging but had a several mini jobs. Shopping and posting looks à la Chiara was like an addiction. Asos got a lot richer through me. Then there came cooperations with Chinese online shops like Romwe, Sheinside, Oasap and many more. I think I’ve already ordered from every single one. But in the end, it’s not the same when you buy yourself some really nice clothes with a good quality. Those are the pieces I’ve kept for years! During the last years I realized that I live quite well with a few items.
My wardrobe is crammed. Two weeks ago I was back home after a long time and I realized how much stuff I’ve been hoarding back home – staples of jeans and trousers, dresses that I’d never wear and much more. Until then I was always so delighted and happy about my full wardrobe. The last time I was shocked how much I’ve consumed in the past four years.
Yes we’re a society that consumes quite a lot! On the other hand, it is also up to us to change our lifestyles to live more sustainable and less obsessing. Trust myself that it feels quite relieving living with less (that is what I had to learn over the past yeras). Howover, everyone should decide for itself – I try my best!
My boyfriend influenced me a lot too. He’s the complete opposite when it comes to consuming. That is why I reconsider things before buying much more than before. Moreover, I am currently living in a tiny 18m2 appartment where the possibilities of storing are quite limited.
Sadly, I’ve completely lost my interest in shopping. I still love fashion a lot and would love to buy myself every item I want, like I did three years ago. But right now I prefer saving my money for travels and good food.
To cut a long story short:
Realisation of the project
1. I want to buy a lot more Second Hand, which worked out quite well so far. The last times my sense of pleasure was so much bigger when I made a bargain. I’ve bought a couple of nice pieces on the German second hand platform Kleiderkreisel (some of them are above). Since I am a little bargain hunter I had to stop myself at a certain point before buying too much.
2. I can’t even remember the last times I shopped at H&M, Zara und co.. Whenever I see some beautiful pieces on other blogger, I try to get them second hand first and if I still want them I buy it for the full price.
3. The rules: one new item – two have to go / one new second hand item – one piece has to go.
4. There are a lot of DIY-Pieces coming up! I am lucky that my mom is a goddess behind the sewing machine and I love her designed pieces! To be honest, the quality is so much better when you make it yourself and costs approximatley the same as when you purchase e.g. a basic at Zara. You only need a little bit more time and patience. Conny will also do more DIY / sewing videos like she did a couple of years ago.
5. Once in a while we’ll present you some new conscious producing labels
6. The project has already started in April and we didn’t set any limit. We’ll see how we proceed!
I am curious what you’re thinking and if anyone of you want to participate in our blogger project don’t hesitate to contact me!
Wish you a wonderful day!